The Pattern Mining Course (BETA)
Distinguished professor, Ph.D.
This is a free online course about pattern mining. It is designed to introduce students or researchers to the different topics of pattern mining, and explain the key algorithms and key concepts.
Pattern mining is a subfield of data mining that aim at applying algorithms to discover interesting patterns in data. These patterns can be used to understand the data or to support decision-making or tasks such as prediction.
This course consists of multiple lectures,
where some videos are provided for each lecture. In general, it is not necessary to watch all the content. Someone could skip some topics as needed.
Note: this is a beta version of the course. Thus, this page will evolve over time with more content.
If you have any comments or suggestions, you may send me an e-mail or post a message in the data mining forum.
Frequent itemset mining and association rule mining
Concise representations of patterns
Rare Pattern Mining
Correlated and statistically significant patterns
|High Utility Itemset Mining
|7||Sequential pattern mining
Sequential rule mining
Software, source code and datasets
To try the different pattern mining algorithms discussed in this course, you can download the SPMF data mining software. SPMF is an open-source software, offering over 230 algorithms. It is implemented in Java and there exist also unofficial wrappers for some other languages. Besides, you can find several public datasets to try the algorithms from SPMF on the datasets page of SPMF
More videos on pattern mining
If you want to see more videos on pattern mining, you may also check:
- The video page on the SPMF website: SPMF: A Java Open-Source Data Mining Library (philippe-fournier-viger.com)
- My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk26EiKTBxk1NAQniOV_oyQ/
FAQ about this course
- How can I contact you if I find some error in the course?
Please can send me an e-mail and I will try to fix the errors, and you will be listed as a contributor on this webpage.
- Where can I get more information about these topics, and also ask questions?
You may see the resources indicated on this page, as well as other videos on my Youtube Channel. Besides, you can try the different algorithms discussed in this course by using the SPMF software, which is free and open-source. Also if you have question, you can also post your questions in the data mining forum. I check this forum every few days and will try to answer your questions.
- Can I use and modify your Powerpoints to teach a course at my university?
Yes, I will be very happy about this! The goal of this free course is to share knowledge. But if you reuse my powerpoints, I ask you to cite this website in your modified PPT and indicate that your powerpoint is based on my content.
This course is based on content from research articles mentioned in the PPTs and PDFs and also some information from those books:
- Fournier-Viger, P., Lin. J. C.-W., Vo, B., Nkambou, R., Tseng, V. S. (editors). (2019) High-Utility Pattern Mining: Theory, Algorithms and Applications, Springer.
- Han and Kamber (2011), Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, 3rd edition, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers,
- Tan, Steinbach & Kumar (2006), Introduction to Data Mining, Pearson education, ISBN-10: 0321321367.
- Data Mining: The Textbook by Aggarwal (2015)
- Data Mining and Analysis Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms by Zaki & Meira (2014)
Several people have given feedback, ideas or reported errors, related to this course:
- Chongsheng Zhang
- Wensheng Gan
- Tai Dinh